To celebrate our 100th podcast episode we’re looking back at chessboxing history with a little quiz between the two Egghead victors Tim Woolgar and Matt Read. If you’d like to play along at home here are the questions:
- Chessboxing first appeared in Enki Bilal’s comic book Froid Equateur. Froid Equateur was part of which trilogy of comic books?
- What year was the kung fu film ‘Mystery of Chessboxing’ released.
- The first professional boxer to compete in chessboxing was Terry Marsh, The Fighting Fireman. What is his world boxing title including the awarding body?
- Iepe Rubingh organised and took part in the first ever chessboxing match. In which month was this?
- The Robinson brothers first combined chess and boxing together in the 1970s. In which boxing club did this happen?
- The Wu Tang Clan made the track ‘Da Mystery of Chessboxin’ ‘. Can you name two band members?
- For one point how many ways can you lose a chessboxing bout? For a bonus point name each?
- Heaven is a Saturday night at chess boxing according to Chris Levy and Max Gershfield. What is the name of the Black Mirror episode which features the same track “Heaven is a Place on Earth”, as the exit music?
- According to the chessboxing database what is the record between Tim and Matt.
- How many Chessboxing events have been held in London according to the chessboxing database?
- Name the first female chess boxers? For a bonus point name the year they fought?
- Jonathan Arnott hit the headline in 2017 when he fought Lib Dem ‘Toby Sloby’ White in London Chessboxing’s Brexit belt, losing by technical knockout in the first round of boxing. He then went on to work for Scunthorpe Hospital Radio providing commentary on Scunthorpe United games. When he ran in the 2005 general election for the Sheffield Attercliffe constituency what percentage of the vote did he achieve? Clue: he lost his deposit.
PENALTY SHOOT OUT
Name as many chessboxers as you can with the letter ‘w’ in their title? W can be in their first name, second name or ring name.
Mentions; Eggheads, Richard Morrow.
Chessboxing Classes: https://chessboxingnation.com/classes
Get your tickets for our next show here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/o/chessboxing-nation-9876871498
Image by Pawel Gawronski